Thursday, December 3, 2015

Its Our Birthday Month - Kindred Spirits: Ava, Jesus and Me

Its that time of year again...lights, singing, eggnog...parties, parties, parties. This month, December, while full of bubbly - is the annual celebration of the birth anniversaries of three extraordinary people. 

From the book,
Heaven is for Real
Jesus...well, what can be said about the One who altered time calculation? Or taught against the horrid practice of exploiting the poor and disadvantaged. Or who was raised from the dead and brings the spirit of all who ask to life; although the Correctness Police will argue that Jesus was born in August or something like that, I don't care. We have to land somewhere and stop for just one day and say happy birthday to the Savior of the world. It happens to be December 25. Around the world. Its actually a little crazy that we have this international holiday, however, He so deserves it.


Ava Major...this little granddaughter of mine was born eight years ago on the 18th. We are a blessed family to have her enter into it. She defines "dynamo," "powerful," "leader," with the most beautiful heart.  I have told her many times, "Ava, remember to always use your power for good," since she has a way of taking you out if you don't do what she wants.  Her mom and dad are doing an amazing job channeling her God designed greatness. 


Me. Well, Im just a perfect example of what God can do with a wild, no-limits, reckless, self-centered little ADHD kid...who spent most her third grade year outside the classroom door, who found alcohol at 16 and rode that horse until she was 35 at which time her Heavenly Father delivered her from its grip. He has been so faithful to teach me humility, discipline, love for others and a deep respect for social behaviors that make room for everyone while nurturing the planet. He gave me a purpose and a super fun life plan.

I am 62 today. Thats really freaking old considering I've lived 3/4s of a natural lifetime. People always want to correct my perspective. "You are only as old as you feel" they say. Well, actually, somedays I feel my physical age. My bones ache sometimes, my joints get stiff...its okay...this is only a temporary vessel. I believe the more accurate idea is, "You are only as old as you think."  Which reflects the great verse in the Bible, "As a woman thinketh, so she is."   And I seem to thinketh as if Im 40. This is the age where you have gained a clue, recognize true beauty, value the simple things, and take nothing for granted.  40 suits me perfectly today.

My birthday wish is that all people would come to know God like I do because in Him we find our glorious identity - no matter where you are born, or to whom you are born, or how you are born, or what happens to you in life, you are not defined by these things. You are a child of God (maybe estranged from Him today, but that is easily rectified).  Because I believe if we all acted as Jesus instructed, the terrifying state of the world would not be so.

Sending you all love, joy and peace on this the 62nd anniversary of my Birth Day.

   -H




No comments:

Post a Comment